HISTORIC PRESERVATION

 

Merchant Point

2,600-3,200 sq. ft per unit          

Merchant Point is situated in the heart of the Fell’s Point , a historic neighborhood in Baltimore. This site not only faced the challenge of addressing different streets, but had multiple historic buildings to be  restored including a historic church and convent, open green spaces to revive, and empty lots to be infilled.  This  new masterplan had to consider  the current parking needs and sustainable design requirements while maintaining the historical context and the neighborhood’s pedestrian friendly culture.

Also See

 

Merchant Hill

2,600-3,200 sq. ft per unit                

Re-zoned from the vacant warehouse to residential

 

The urban planning considered the existing topography of the block and carved into the site to blend into the existing neighborhood

 

Preserved the existing National Brewing overpass while achieving a total of 25 units

 

The team includes Union Box Company, Stonington Partners, and Urban Design Group

Also See

In the news:

 

Patterson Park Lofts

7680 sq. ft                                       

Approved by CHAP commission and National Trust for Historic Preservation

 

Conversion of the vacant traditional church building in the Patterson Park neighborhood into a 7-unit apartment with commercial space on the ground floor

The team includes Urban Scene

Also See

Helicopter Factory

29,500 sq. ft                                       

Industrial-inspired townhouse residences built within and adjacent to an early 20th-century factory owned by the eminent inventor Emile Berliner.

The Team includes Brick Lane, Eichberg Construction

Also See

In the news:

 

Barcoding.Inc

32,000 sq. ft                                      

Achieved tax credits from Maryland Historic Preservation and the National Trust for Historic Preservation and the National Trust for Historic Preservation

 

Rehabilitation of a 1920’s industrial warehouse in Highlandtown and converting to a technological hub, providing space for office suites warehouse, and production/testing.

 

The team includes: Bank Street Partners, Smartbox Construction, Urban Scene

Also See

In the news:

Heath Street Lofts

85,000 sq. ft                                   

The  original four-story brick industrial building was constructed in 1911 and in 1927 a poured concrete wing was added to the east.  The interior consists of open plan spaces with exposed structural systems.  The 1911 brick building has exposed timber posts and beams and the 1927 building has concrete mushroom columns. It was important to the design team to keep these elements intact in the laying out of the residential units. The site had to be rezoned from M-2 to R-10 because the building extends through an industrial zone and residential neighborhood. The residential conversion is important both for revitalizing the declining industrial zone and for maintaining the health of the rowhouse neighborhood. 

Also See

In the news:

Fallsway Spring

11,000 sq. ft                                     

Approved for a federal tax credit

 

The team includes Union Box Company, Groove Commerce, and Urban Design Group


The project was awarded the Baltimore Heritage Award in 2015

 

Howard Row 

65,625 sq. ft                                   

The Howard Row design team worked closely with the project developer, Poverni Sheikh Group,  as well as the Commission for Historical and Architectural Preservation of Baltimore.

 

The five buildings were converted into mixed-use & multi-family housing while preserving the essence of the 1870’s street’s historic elements. Some of those elements were the design of the original storefronts on the ground floor and the windows on the second and third floors. These original storefronts and windows from the 1870’s were repaired or replaced, with approved and similar wood clad models, within the original brick openings.

 

The team also created unique partnerships and worked closely with the adjacent communities to make this a successful project in the Market Center National Register District. 

Also See

In the news:

Central Savings

35,000 sq. ft

Rehabilitation of distressed historic buildings at the corner of Charles and Lexington Street

 

Mixed use 25 apartments and retail space

 

Completed the BMZA process and met all Baltimore green building standards

 

The team includes Poverni Sheikh Group, Transwestern, and Urban Design Group

Also See

In the news: